Fundraising & Charity Work
Fundraising for Charity
Students are acutely aware of the needs of others both in their own community and beyond. Each year group fundraise for a particular charity or group of charities as well as a number of other initiatives which take place. The Year 13 Charities Committee organises a number of activities such as bag packing, street collections and collection of foreign coins to help local charities.
- This year’s nominated charities for the Year 8’s annual fancy dress were The Michaela Foundation, Mandeville Unit in Craigavon, and Motor Neurone disease. The School Gym was filled with colour on Thursday 23rd October 2014 as they had their annual afternoon of fun and fancy dress to raise money for local causes. There was a fantastic array of spooky dress costumes and very creative and imaginative designs. Some of the costumes were amazing. Everyone worked together to make the event great fun.
- Year 9 completed their annual MS Walk in May in Drum Manor Forest Park, Cookstown and collected an outstanding £4239.
- Year 9 students also took part in a Maths Challenge which raised £704 for LASCO.
- The Year 10 annual fund raising blitz rose £2068.97 for ‘The Brazilian Fund’
- Year 11 organised an interclass quiz and raised £1833.35 for Friends Of Africa.
- Year 12 fundraiser raised £3833.45. The worthy cause was Leukaemia UK/ Leukaemia Research. Year 12 boys had an interclass soccer competition with 12G emerging as the winners. The girls got their dancing shoes on, their hearts beating faster and had brilliant fun experiencing and trying a variety of dancing from salsa to hip hop.
- Students from various year groups had a form class collection and raised an outstanding £6484 for Trocaire and some students took part in a 24 hour fast raising £1873.96 for Concern.
- Year 13 students organised the annual shoebox collection; we have 333 shoeboxes in and the Committee are now organising a skipathon for Key Stage 3.
- The Bridgewater Suite in Belfast City Hospital received a cheque for £2500.00. Staff raised money from ‘Come Dine with Me’ evenings and coffee mornings.
- The Year 13 fundraiser this year raised £2394.11 with the Zambia Project being their nominated charity.
- The Year 14s organised a raffle and raised £960 for the Niamh Louise Foundation.
A new SVP Youth Programme is presently being set up in the school. The group aims to provide students with an outlet to experience volunteering and also to support young people in their volunteering while representing SVP. Our aim is to encourage our students to be active in their local communities. We are planning over the course of the year that the students will engage in a number of visitations of the elderly in our local area. Ongoing are a number of non monetary fundraisers such as foreign coins, empty inkjet cartridges.